Some 2.80 million people of Bangladesh use the world's strongest social media, Facebook (FB), as it secured 51st position among the nations using the network globally, a survey report said.
Socialbakers, a global social media and digital analytics company, said people of 18-24 years of age of Bangladesh are the major FB users.
Out of the total 2.80 million FB users in Bangladesh, 1.37 million are young (18-24 years of age).
Among the FB members, 78 per cent are male and 22 per cent female.
The survey result has come out monitoring the trends of users of the world's strongest social media over the last six months.
The Socialbakers has made a survey among 213 countries where the FB is popular among other social networks.
United States of America (USA) is on the top of the list with 159.03 million users, while Brazil has secured the second position with its 54.95 million subscribers and India is in the third position with its 51.96 million FB members, the survey data said.
The Socialbakers said that Facebook penetration in Bangladesh is 1.77 per cent compared with the country's 158 million population.
The FB users in Bangladesh grew by more than 438,600 in the last 6 months.
Bangladesh has 0.01 per cent higher FB penetration than Papua New Guinea and 0.13 per cent lower penetration than Lesotho.
According to Socialbakers, people of 18-24 years of age are the major FB users in Bangladesh as 1.37 million or around 50 per cent of the total users subscribe it, followed by the users of 25-34 years of age, who are 29 per cent of the total FB users.
Bangladesh, one of the fastest growing economies in the world, has had an impressive internet penetration growth as its users have reached more than 5.50 million until last year (2011) from only 100,000 users in 2000.
According to the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), a total of 4.88 million internet users are added in the last calendar year to only 617,300 users in 2010 in Bangladesh.
The country's mobile phone penetration has also jumped to 93.78 million in June 2012 which has facilitated the internet as well as Facebook users in the country.
- Steamer passengers in doubt of getting special Eid tickets
- Enactment of Whistleblowers' Act to help combat corruption
- President reaches Saudi Arabia
- BD peacekeeper killing US embassy sympathises
- Hasina, Khaleda swap Eid cards
- Construction worker murdered in city
- Banglalink fined for unauthorised package
- Foreign envoys call for talks to break political deadlock (589)
- 1,500 18-party men sued in Ctg for violence (556)
- India bus crash inferno kills 45 (555)
- 3-day blockade from Monday (542)
- Â‘Opposition\'s one step forward will solve the crisisÂ’ (529)
- Modi targets dynastic rule in India (499)
- Suicide bomber hits Tunisia beach, nearby attack foiled (494)
- Arguments against Nizami today (493)
- Hijacking of goods-laden trucks rises alarmingly (482)
- China police hold five over Tiananmen \'terror attack\' (482)
- Garment manufacturers need to clean up their act (480)
- AL leader succumbs to injuries (448)